In the past couple of decades, British TV has become widely popular across the entire planet, making a remarkable effect in the global entertainment industry. Whether it’s from binge-worthy dramas to stomach-hurting comedies, the UK has shown top-notch content that gained a wide following and garnered critical success. From comedy super Judge Rinder to the spy sensation Killing Eve, British TV is now greatly admired all over the world. In this article, we’re uncovering just how much British TV has impacted the global entertainment industry.
1. Introduction to British Television
The world of British television is often celebrated for its originality and impressive viewership numbers that span around the globe. British TV’s success can be attributed to its unique programming which consistently captivates audiences worldwide. With great popularity and sustained relevance, British TV’s influence doesn’t only apply to viewers, but to the international television industry as a whole.
As a result of Britain’s trailblazing creative spirit, many of its shows have successfully influenced television in countries around the world. From Australia to Japan, we can see how British TV has made an impact on international television.
The impact of British television is best seen in two ways: the inspirations that foreign shows have taken from Britain, and the crossover success of British-created shows beyond its own borders.
The Retelling of British Television Stories
British TV has inspired many international shows, some of which are direct remakes or adaptations of British originals. For example, the success of the British show The Office lead to its successful retelling in the United States.
The US version was made in a mockumentary style, with identical characters and similar dialogue as the original British series. It was well-received in the US, becoming of the country’s most successful programs.
Other shows from Britain that have inspired successful international versions include Strictly Come Dancing, or Dancing with the Stars, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Big Brother, and Shameless.
The International Success of British TV
British TV has also experienced success stories beyond its own borders, with many shows making waves around the world. These include recent successes like the blockbuster series Downton Abbey, Sherlock and Doctor Who, as well as beloved British classics like Only Fools and Horses and Fawlty Towers, both of which still have a huge following today.
Furthermore, popular football shows like Match of the Day and World Cup Soccer have generated a global following for British sports broadcasting, while light-hearted shows like Absolutely Fabulous and Absolutely Anything have offered laughs to viewers worldwide.
The Global Reach of British Television
- Definitive genre classics: British TV has produced timeless classics in genres such as drama, comedy, science fiction and sport.
- Impact on Foreign Shows: British shows have proven to be influential for popular foreign adaptations and remakes.
- Global Popularity: British-created shows have achieved incredible success and have sold to broadcasters around the world.
British television has a rich history and an undeniable power to captivate viewers around the world. Not only have its shows provoked international adaptations and retellings, but it boasts numerous series that have travelled around our planet – winning countless fans and awards along the way.
From Doctor Who to Downton Abbey, British TV has had a profound, lasting effect on global entertainment. Taking influences from American, British and European television programmes, British TV has grown to become a powerhouse of international television, often setting the trend for other nations to follow. Here we will explore British TV’s impact on global entertainment:
- Create new genres - British TV has an enviable track record when it comes to creating new genres. Genres such as fantasy (Doctor Who), crime drama (Luther), detective (Sherlock), political drama (The Thick of It), and historical drama (Downton Abbey) have all been created and popularized by British writers and producers.
- Influence other nations’ shows – British TV programmes have had a huge impact on international television. Numerous showrunners and writers have been inspired by the British way of storytelling and have adopted elements of it in their own shows. This has resulted in a lot of cross-cultural collaborations between showrunners and producers from different countries.
- Filmmaking techniques – British TV productions have often taken the lead in terms of technical advances in filmmaking. Examples include the use of slow-mo, handheld camera, and silent cinematography. All of these skills and techniques have been adopted and used extensively by TV shows from around the world.
At the end of the day, it’s undeniable that British TV has had an immense global impact, especially when it comes to shaping the entertainment landscape. With a steady stream of new genres, stories, and techniques emerging from British TV, it’s likely that this influence will remain for a long time to come.
3. Prevalence of British TV Export Genres
Impact of British Television Genres on Global Entertainment
One of the hallmarks of British television (TV) is its ability to export genres to the world. In the UK, television is known for historical drama, medical drama, comedy-dramas, police-procedurals, sitcoms, and wider genre content that has been popular in both British and global markets for so many years.
Some of the most successful British television exports are the now-worldwide phenomenon of Downton Abbey or Doctor Who: both have had a lasting global influence and have since been remade in numerous countries. Other exports, such as Peaky Blinders or Sherlock, have similarly spanned the genre spectrum and captivated audiences in many different countries.
British production companies have managed to create a wide variety of high-quality television that continues to have global reach. In particular, British TV stands out for its ability to create long-running dramas with both large and small casts. This gives it the capacity to move smoothly and quickly between settings and storylines, an often complex and technically difficult feat.
In addition to dramas and comedies, British television has provided quality content in other genres that can be enjoyed everywhere. The UK is known for its documentary and informative programming, and the BBC’s Planet Earth documentary series is an example of the impact British television can have on the global stage.
- Humour is also a staple of British television and exports have included The Office and Monty Python’s Flying Circus.
- Children’s programming has been a consistent strength of British exports as evidenced by shows such as Thomas the Tank Engine and The Clangers.
- Reality TV has also been globally successful with The Great British Bake Off, Big Brother and Strictly Come Dancing proving to be some of the most successful exports.
British television production has also spawned successful One-Offs such as Black Mirror and Anthology Series such as The know-it-all which has gained permits for each region in around the world.
Recently, streaming services such as Netflix have also embraced British exports, allowing the genre to reach even wider audiences. The US-based streaming service Hulu provides British content such as Killing Eve and The Inbetweeners, as do Amazon Prime, BBC America, and other on-demand streaming services.
British television is popular around the world because it strikes a perfect balance between complex storytelling and accessible entertainment. It has been one of the most powerful influences on global entertainment for decades and its presence will only continue to grow.
4. Financial Impact of British TV
- The global reach of British TV has created an influx of global celebrity culture.
- British TV stars have become household names not only in the U.K. but across Europe, North and South America, Asia, the Middle East and beyond.
- These celebrities have become synonymous with their roles on British TV, and their influence has spread far beyond the U.K. to influence the entertainment industry on a global scale.
- The large-scale audience that British TV can reach has had a massive impact on the entertainment industry around the world.
- The global influence of British TV has had a considerable impact on the production of films and other TV programs in other countries, as the values and expectations of viewers have been fundamentally altered based on the type of television content popular in the U.K.
- British TV has also had a notable impact on the way other forms of media, such as video games, are consumed, as British TV content often serves as an inspiration for game development.
- The global influence of British TV has had a major financial impact. Many of the largest production companies within the U.K. are now household names on a global scale, due to the popularity of their TV output.
- The success of British TV has drawn in both domestic and international investment into the U.K. television industry, stimulating the economy significantly.
- The global reach of British TV has resulted in huge profits and revenues for many U.K. producers, as they can now access and market their content directly to global audiences instead of relying on networks in other countries.
- British TV has had a profound impact on the global entertainment industry, from the creation of celebrity culture to its influence on the production of TV content around the world.
- The international success of British TV has resulted in a huge financial impact, from the investment of domestic and international funds into the U.K. television industry to the profits and revenues made by British producers.
5. Cultural Influence of British TV
British TV has had an impact on global entertainment that is both significant and pervasive. From the classic black and white comedy of Fawlty Towers, to the more recent popular drama Downton Abbey, the influence of British TV can be seen preeminent in the following areas:
- Hits Around the Globe: The power of British television lies in the fact that it travels very well. British television shows have achieved cult status around the world, with popular shows like Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes becoming bywords in practically every culture imaginable.
- Upscale Shows: British television has been a major influence in creating higher-end television shows that are more complex and thoughtful than traditional sitcoms and cop dramas. Take for instance the detective series Luther, which has raised the bar for sophisticated viewership.
- Innovative Formats: British television is also noted for its innovation in television formats. Shows like Who Wants To Be a Millionaire revolutionized the game show genre, while others like Coupling pushed the boundaries of comedy formats.
The impact of British television on the global entertainment scene can be seen not only in what is popular, but what is imitated throughout the industry. From American adaptations of shows like Ricky Gervais’ The Office, to remakes of classic British shows like Allo Allo, there’s no denying the staying power and influence of British television shows. As the industry continues to evolve and develop, British television shows will continue to be a major influence on the worldwide entertainment scene.
6. Leveraging British TV for Future Success
Since the end of World War II, British TV has had a major influence on global entertainment. From classic sitcoms and soap operas, to historical documentaries, British TV offers something for everyone. Here are just a few ways in which British TV has had an impact:
- The Politically-Charged Comedy – British comedies often take on political issues and social topics, while still remaining humorous. A notable example of this is The Thick of it, which follows the escapades of a hapless cabinet minister through a comedic lens. British comedy has become highly exportable, allowing viewers around the world with different cultural backgrounds to appreciate the underlying messages.
- The Documentary Genre – British TV documentary makers are particularly known for their ability to make often dull facts and figures interesting and captivating. Documentaries such as the BBC’s Human Planet series feature stunning cinematography and engaging stories that draw in audiences from all over the world.
- The Soap Opera Format – Pioneered by the UK’s Granada Production Company, soap operas have become incredibly popular both in Britain and abroad. Coronation Street is one of the world’s longest-running shows, with viewers tuning in from across the globe. The soap opera format has been replicated in countries the world over, giving rise to a multitude of new shows and storylines.
British TV owes its success to the vast array of genres and topics it is able to cover. As competition for viewers intensifies, it will be necessary for British TV producers to keep innovating and developing new content to continue being successful in the global marketplace. The UK’s diverse culture and long history are assets that it can leverage to its advantage when exploring potential new avenues of content.
From an overwhelming success of Downton Abbey to the captivating performance of Sherlock, British television has had an immense impact on the global entertainment industry and continues to be a leader in modern content creation. With each new season, British television is setting the bar higher for creative output and pushing the boundaries of what can be accomplished in the television industry.
- Innovative Storytelling – British television stands out for its innovative storytelling techniques, continually captivating audiences with its unique narratives.
- Popular Genres – From crime and drama to comedy and horror, British television has created and popularised countless genres.
- Critical Acclaim– British television is loved and celebrated by viewers globally, and has received numerous awards and critical recognition.
The global impact of British television is undeniable; it has transformed the entertainment industry and set the stage for the future of television worldwide. In the years ahead, British television will continue to be an influential powerhouse that produces captivating content and continues to elevate the industry to new heights.
Overall, British TV has had a significant impact on the global entertainment landscape, both in terms of content and style. From Doctor Who to Downton Abbey, the influence of British TV is clear, and it looks like it will continue to impact audiences all around the world for many years to come.